Molly is an 8yo girl that lives in Union County, North Carolina. Join Molly and her friends, as they teach us about their differences and similarities. Each month will have a different disability focus.
One day, Molly was getting ready to go dance class. She thought about Ryan’s brother, Daniel, and how he liked to dance to music at home. Molly knew Daniel liked music. Molly knew Daniel liked dancing. But Molly thought Daniel would not like dance class. There are a lot of people at dance class. There are a lot of rules. And sometimes the music is loud. Molly wondered what kind of class Daniel would enjoy.
Molly’s mom and Daniel’s mom are friends. Molly knew her mom would know if Daniel took any classes. This is what Molly’s mom said:
- Daniel likes to go to church. He has a buddy that helps him in class. His church also has a special room that Daniel can go to if he gets upset. Sometimes the music is too loud. Sometimes there are too many kids. When that happens, Daniel and his buddy go for a walk and talk about God where it is quiet.
- Daniel goes to dance class like Molly. But Daniel’s class is different. His teacher does not play the music loud. The dances are short. The teacher shows them one move at a time. Each kid does what they are able to do. Some kids dance. Some kids clap.
- Daniel goes to OT (occupational therapy). At therapy he gets to swing and learn how to play with other toys.
- In the spring, Daniel plays baseball. He plays with the Miracle League. He has a buddy to help him play.
- Daniel also likes trains. When Daniel is older, he may join the model train club.
Molly did not know Daniel did so many things. She was happy to know he was able to go out and play with friends. She asked her mom if she could go watch Daniel’s dance class some time.